Release Notes for JMRI 4.23.5 release
Date: mmm dd, 2021
Subject: Test Release 4.23.5 of JMRI/DecoderPro is available for download.
This is a draft release note only; the download links do not yet work
This is a test release. Please post a note if you encounter any new or old bugs! And please back up your JMRI files before installing this, in case you want to go back to an earlier version.
This is the next in a series of test releases. We expect this series to end in the next JMRI production release in Summer 2021. (See the tentative release schedule)
Some of the changes involved are quite extensive. They may require a certain amount of experience before they are working well. Therefore, this test release should be considered experimental.
Update From Older JMRI VersionsIf you are currently using a version older than JMRI 4.20, please follow these instructions carefully:
- Is your current version older than JMRI 4.12?
If so, then update to JMRI 4.12 first, and ensure everything works correctly: check
start-up, check things you need to be working, and check the JMRI log as well) before doing anything else.
Store your configuration and panel files under a new name and use those from now on.
Then continue with step 2.
If you are currently using JMRI 4.7.3 or earlier on Linux or macOS (Windows doesn't need this), then it's very important that you update to JMRI 4.12 and carrying out the migration process described in the JMRI 4.12 release note before updating to any later relese.
- Is your current version older than JMRI 4.20? Then update to JMRI 4.20 first, and ensure that works correctly (check start-up, check things you need to be working, and check the JMRI log as well) before doing anything else Store your configuration and panel files under a new name and use those from now on.
- You can then install this release.
Known problems with this release
New warnings for this release:
- None yet
Older warningsSee the JMRI 4.20 release note for more warnings predating the 4.21 development series, including pointers to various migration issues. These may be relevant to you if you're updating from an earlier version; we strongly recommend you update to JMRI 4.20 installing this test release.
- Since JMRI 4.21.1 The jmri.jmrix.SystemConnectionMemo class has become a jmri.SystemConnectionMemo interface and a jmri.jmrix.DefaultSystemConnectionMemo class. This may require changes to scripts. If you have a script that references jmri.jmrix.SystemConnectionMemo, please change it to either jmri.SystemConnectionMemo or jmri.jmrix.DefaultSystemConnectionMemo (it's easier to have you just try the two than to explain which one will work in which case)
- Since JMRI 4.21.1 The way preferences are loaded at startup has been slightly modified. There is no impact to JMRI applications, but Non-JMRI applications that are not derived from apps.Apps or apps.AppsBase but are using jmri.implementation.JmriConfigurationManager to load preferences will no longer see preferences if an error occurs. To restore the old behavior, use apps.AppsConfigurationManager instead.
- Since JMRI 4.11.4
There are issues with the Pi-SPROG One command station operation. A number of workarounds should be applied:
- Do not turn on the track power until the power supply to the Pi-SPROG ONE is turned on
- Do not enable extra debugging through default.lcf, nor open the system console window
- Do not open the SPROG console window
- Disable power conversion (CV 29) in all locos
- If connecting via VNC (or similar), setup the screen layout before turning on the track power
Download links:During development leading to the actual release, you can find test download files on the continuous integration build page. These are development files, and might not be working at any particular time.
Changes since Test Release 4.23.4:The list of included changes is available from our GitHub code repository.
DCC++ and DCC-EX
JMRI Simple Server/JMRI Client
OpenLCB / LCC
New / Updated decoder definitions
Doehler & Haas
Mistral Train Models
Norsk Modelljernbane (NJM)
- Added support for Piko SmartDecoder 4.1 Next 18 Series used in N and TT scale engines.
Public Domain and DIY decoders
- Create Train. Fix sort order in Transit Combo.
- Create Train. Fix starting train outside of Transit..
NX - Entry/Exit Tool
- Implement Clock Action and Expression
Meters and MeterFrames
Control Panel Editor
- Function buttons icons, SVG file format now supported, allows for smooth scaling in JMRI native throttle window
Turnouts, Lights, Sensors and other elements
Simple Signal Logic
USS CTC Logic
- When "Large speed slider" mode is enabled (in throttle preferences), directions, stop and estop buttons will automatically resize and scale depending on the control panel inner window size : allows for high visibility from far away (for people using a wireless device combined with JMRI native throttles for instance)
- Function buttons icons, SVG file format now supported, allows for smooth scaling
- Throttle control panel button icons are now based on SVG files, allows better scaling
- Throttle preferences are now be applied live, no need to reload the throttle windows or restart the application
Virtual Sound Decoder
- Audio buffers and sources now are removed when a VSDecoder is deleted.
- Deprecated methods in VSDecoderManager: getVSDecoder(String profile_name, String path), getNumberOfDecoders, setDefaultVSDecoder, getDefaultVSDecoder. And in VSDecoder: setDefault, isDefault.
- Luca Dentella contributed the new CmdMapper script.