Release Notes for JMRI 4.21.5 release
Date: February 20, 2021
From: Bob Jacobsen
Subject: Test Release 4.21.5 of JMRI/DecoderPro is available for download.
This is a test release. Please post a note if you encounter any new or old bugs! And please back up your JMRI files before installing this, in case you want to go back to an earlier version.
This is the next in a series of test releases. We expect this series to end in the next JMRI production release in early 2021. (See the tentative release schedule)
Some of the changes involved are quite extensive. They may require a certain amount of experience before they are working well. Therefore, this test release should be considered experimental.
Update From Older JMRI VersionsIf you are currently using a version older than JMRI 4.20, please follow these instructions carefully:
- Is your current version older than JMRI 4.12?
If so, then update to JMRI 4.12 first, and ensure everything works correctly: check
start-up, check things you need to be working, and check the JMRI log as well) before doing anything else.
Store your configuration and panel files under a new name and use those from now on.
Then continue with step 2.
If you are currently using JMRI 4.7.3 or earlier on Linux or macOS (Windows doesn't need this), then it's very important that you update to JMRI 4.12 and carrying out the migration process described in the JMRI 4.12 release note before updating to any later relese.
- Is your current version older than JMRI 4.20? Then update to JMRI 4.20 first, and ensure that works correctly (check start-up, check things you need to be working, and check the JMRI log as well) before doing anything else Store your configuration and panel files under a new name and use those from now on.
- You can then install this release.
Known problems with this release
New warnings for this release:
- None yet
Older warningsSee the JMRI 4.20 release note for more warnings predating the 4.21 development series, including pointers to various migration issues. These may be relevant to you if you're updating from an earlier version; we strongly recommend you update to JMRI 4.20 installing this test release.
- Since JMRI 4.21.1 The jmri.jmrix.SystemConnectionMemo class has become a jmri.SystemConnectionMemo interface and a jmri.jmrix.DefaultSystemConnectionMemo class. This may require changes to scripts. If you have a script that references jmri.jmrix.SystemConnectionMemo, please change it to either jmri.SystemConnectionMemo or jmri.jmrix.DefaultSystemConnectionMemo (it's easier to have you just try the two than to explain which one will work in which case)
- Since JMRI 4.21.1 The way preferences are loaded at startup has been slightly modified. There is no impact to JMRI applications, but Non-JMRI applications that are not derived from apps.Apps or apps.AppsBase but are using jmri.implementation.JmriConfigurationManager to load preferences will no longer see preferences if an error occurs. To restore the old behavior, use apps.AppsConfigurationManager instead.
- Since JMRI 4.19.1
getBeanBySystemNamecalls in the various
Managerclasses are no longer needed with Java 8 and have been deprecated for eventual removal. Their replacements are
getBySystemNamerespectively. If you use
getBeanBySystemNamein script or Java code you've written, please switch to the new names.
- Since JMRI 4.11.4
There are issues with the Pi-SPROG One command station operation. A number of workarounds should be applied:
- Do not turn on the track power until the power supply to the Pi-SPROG ONE is turned on
- Do not enable extra debugging through default.lcf, nor open the system console window
- Do not open the SPROG console window
- Disable power conversion (CV 29) in all locos
- If connecting via VNC (or similar), setup the screen layout before turning on the track power
Download links:Please note that the download links in this and future JMRI releases link to Github servers. People are welcome to distribute the download files further via other websites, etc. If you want to check that you've received original, unmodified versions, please check the files against the checksums shown below.
- OS X / macOS: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.21.5/JMRI.4.21.5+R9c40019f7.dmg
- Windows: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.21.5/JMRI.4.21.5+R9c40019f7.exe
- Linux: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.21.5/JMRI.4.21.5+R9c40019f7.tgz
Changes since Test Release 4.21.4:The list of included changes is available from our GitHub code repository.
- Andrew Crosland added a second current meter instance for SPROG Generation 5 hardware.
- Corrected links to images on SPROG Generation 5 hardware help page.
- Changed trademark recognition to ® for register trademarks, rather than ™.
- When connected to the LocoNet HexFile Simulator, simulated replies from selected devices are sent to the monitor (select the "Simulate replies" checkbox on the HexFile pane).
New / Updated decoder definitions
Tam Valley Depot
- Updated the QuadLN_S template to support the 16 servo capability in the Version 3 software
- New definitions to program Power4, Power8 (boosters) and IntelliLight 28x0 modules.
- For Uhlenbrock Track-Control modules a Direct Message type was added to the LNCV protocol. The Lncv Programming tool has a new checkbox 'Direct Mode', allowing to set LEDs etc.
- Two new Track-Control definitions (art. 69220 Turnout and 69230 Signal Module)
- When connected to the LocoNet HexFile Simulator, simulated replies from LNCV devices are sent to the monitor (select the "Simulate replies" checkbox on the HexFile pane).
- Dutch translations added for the Where Used, Meters and Issue Reporting tools.
- A problem storing and reading LE controlpoint values for users with a non-default Locale has been fixed .
Meters and MeterFrames
- The Settings menu was slightly reorganized with submenus for each value.
- When no meters are available, both Meters menus and the Units Settings menu show a short explanation.
- Meters will honor the JMRI Locale/regional setting for the decimal separator (. or ,))
- Meters now use meter max and resolution to default integer and decimal digits
Turnouts, Lights, Sensors and other elements
- Turnouts with 1 Sensor Feedback update to Inconsistent state when the Sensor being followed enters an Unknown or Inconsistent state.
See Turnout Feedback
- Better set row height in table.
- Fix Jynstrument instantiation on Windows (cleaner URI to path method). User message 78674589
- Added local and global preferences to show/hide speed step selector. User message 80665867
- Added global throttle preference to use or not large speed slider. User message 80665867
- Refactored VideoView Jynstrument for camera view in Throttle, reworked using a new third party library.
- Improved how JavaHelp handles non-HTML files on some platforms.