Release Notes for JMRI 4.15.4 release
Date: March 12, 2019
From: Bob Jacobsen
Subject: Test Release 4.15.4 of JMRI/DecoderPro is available for download.
This is a test release. Please post a note if you encounter any new or old bugs! And please back up your JMRI files before installing this, in case you want to go back to an earlier version.
This is the next in a series of test releases. We expect this series to end in the next JMRI production release during early Summer 2019. (See the tentative release schedule)
Some of the changes involved are quite extensive. They may require a certain amount of experience before they are working well. Therefore, this test release should be considered experimental.
Update From Older JMRI Versions
If you are currently using JMRI 4.11.9 or earlier, we strongly recommend that you update to JMRI 4.12 and make sure that's running OK before updating to this test release. Once you have JMRI 4.12 running OK, store your configuration and panel files and use those from then on. There have been a number of changes in serial port support, panel file format and configuration options since those earlier releases, and moving to the stable JMRI 4.12 release is a good way to work through any possible problems.
If you are currently using JMRI 4.7.3 or earlier on Linux or macOS (Windows doesn't need this), you must update to JMRI 4.12 and carrying out the migration process described in the JMRI 4.12 release note before updating to this release.
Known problems with this release
New warnings for this release:
- Since JMRI 4.15.4 The calculation of Turnout Addresses for the Direct DCC Accessory Command ("a" command) mode has been fixed (commands are now sent to the correct accessory address rather than 4 less than the nominated hardware address). For pre-existing panels, changes will need to be made to either the actual decoder address or the panel. If help is required, ask on the jmriusers group.
Older warningsSee the JMRI 4.14 release note for more warnings predating the 4.15 development series. These may be relevant to you if you're updating from an earlier version.
Since JMRI 4.15.3 The prefix that identifies a layout connection should be a single letter, like "N" or "L", or a letter and some digits, like "K2" or "D3". Some older systems used to have longer "legacy system prefixes" like "DX", "DCCPP", "DP", "MR", "MC", "PI", and "TM". Those legacy system prefixes will now cause JMRI to issues a warning at startup. In this release, JMRI will still work with those prefixes, but they will need to be migrated to the proper form soon; JMRI 4.17.1 and later will require that this have been fixed. Therefore, this warning can't be suppressed without migrating the prefix in the connection configuration (and any associated panel files and scripts). If you're getting this warning and therefore need to do that migration, migration page.
Since JMRI 4.11.4 There are issues with the Pi-SPROG One command station operation. A number of workarounds should be applied:
- Do not turn on the track power until the power supply to the Pi-SPROG ONE is turned on
- Do not enable extra debugging through default.lcf, nor open the system console window
- Do not open the SPROG console window
- Disable power conversion (CV 29) in all locos
- If connecting via VNC (or similar), setup the screen layout before turning on the track power
Download links:Please note that the download links in this and future JMRI releases link to Github servers. People are welcome to distribute the download files further via other websites, etc. If you want to check that you've received original, unmodified versions, please check the files against the checksums shown below.
- OS X / macOS: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.4/JMRI.4.15.4+R0d44598.dmg
- Windows: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.4/JMRI.4.15.4+R0d44598.exe
- Linux: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.4/JMRI.4.15.4+R0d44598.tgz
Changes since Test release 4.15.3:The list of included commits is available from our GitHub code repository.
- The calculation of Turnout Addresses for the Direct DCC Accessory Command ("a" command) mode has been fixed. Commands are now sent to the accessory address entered in the JMRI Turnout Table. (Dave Heap) Since JMRI 4.15.4
- The DCC++ Traffic Monitor no longer crashes when attempting to display some commands.
- "PR3 Standalone Programmer" mode has been updated so that only one LocoNet menu will be displayed, instead of displaying two menus.
- Digitrax connections now support PR4, DCS240 and DCS210 via uniquely named connection types. Since JMRI 4.15.4
- Addresses a problem when track power status is changed on the DCS52 which can cause a JMRI code failure. Since JMRI 4.15.4
- Fixed Delay in throttle message processing
New / Updated decoder definitions
- Michael Mosher fixed a bug in GP35 SP CV54
- Michael Mosher added more models to Athearn ECO OEM file
- Michael Mosher added more models to Athearn Genesis TSU2 OEM file
- A new definition was added for the 73xx5 IntelliDrive2 decoders. It also works on two Piko 4.1
sound decoder models.
The definition is still under development and not complete. Please report read test results on your hardware.
- Decoder definitions for indexed-access CVs can now use a "81=23.40" (cvFirst = false) /
"40.81=23" (cvFirst = true) syntax to specify an alternate PI and/or SI CV.
The previous syntax continues to work unchanged.
- "output" definition elements can now be included in the "family" element, or via including a fragment file. The 0NMRA.xml file has an example of this.
- Fix bug with launcher on Windows introduced when adding JDK 11 support in 4.15.3. This caused JMRI to not launch on certain 64-bit Windows systems that had only a 32-bit Java installation.
- Fixed occasional problem where an item in the Turnout, Sensor, Memory or Light table couldn't be deleted.