Release Notes for JMRI 1.3.8 developer release
Date: Feb 16, 2004
From: Bob Jacobsen
Subject: Test version 1.3.8 of JMRI/DecoderPro is available for download.
- This is a test release.
- Please post a note if you encounter any new or old bugs!
- Please back up your JMRI files before installing this, in case you want to go back to an earlier version.
- Recent test versions are numbered 1.3.0, 1.3.4, 1.3.5 and 1.3.8. Some version numbers were skipped to avoid confusion with the Java version numbers; test versions 1.3.6 and 1.3.7 had problems and never reached public announcement status.
- These downloads are significantly larger than version 1.3.5 and previous. This is due to the addition of a help system starting in test version 1.3.8.
Older warnings for the 1.3 series of test versions:
- LocoNet sensor numbering has been changed starting in version 1.3.4! This will effect people who have panel files (.xml files containing panel definition) for LocoNet block occupancy sensors. The sensor numbers now start with 1, not 0, so you'll have to edit the panel files to change e.g. LS0 to LS1, LS23 to LS24, etc. This does not effect input via other (non-LocoNet) protocols, including C/MRI, NCE AIU, etc. If you use LocoNet sensor numbers for the Speedometer, you'll have to increase them by one also.
- There seems to be a problem with recent JMRI versions on Macintosh Classic. The cause of this is not understood. For some people it works fine, and for others it locks up totally. Because of this, no Classic download for this test version has been provided. If you haven't downloaded and run a 1.2.something or 1.3.something version, this
- version will require that you re-enter your preferences. You might want to open the preferences window (from the Edit menu) and write down your settings before installing this version. (You'll be able to go back to the older version if you need to)
- If you have pre-1.2.3 roster entries that use Zimo decoder definitions, you'll have to recreate them. The Zimo decoder definitions have been completely reworked in a better organization starting with test version 1.2.3.
Changes since test version 1.3.5:
- Jack Shall updated the appearance and added ToolTips in the DecoderPro comprehensive programmer.
- Dennis Miller added a "Help" system, which is accessed from the main menubar. Initial contents are Joe Ellis' DecoderPro manual (with some modifications), plus some additional pages.
- Paul Bender added an initial version of a consist-manager tool, based on a very general infrastructure. It should work for advanced (CV19) consists on any system currently supporting ops mode programming.
- DecoderPro will now use "Direct Bit" programming mode first if it's available in both the command station and decoder (previously, priority had been given to paged mode)
- Paul Bender added a Command Station Configuration manager. This code attempts to enable only the portions of the JMRI library that are useable with a given command station. For example, with the Lenz Compact/Atlas Commander, the Programmer is disabled since these units do not support programing from an XPressNet device. He also added code to the tools menu to disable items for which a manager does not exist.
- MERG decoders updated (Len Royles, Phil Grainger and others)
- Support added for the SPROG command station, including initial throttle support. This has had only limited testing, so feedback would be greatly appreciated!
- Alex Shepherd added support for the LocoNetOverTcp protocol.
- Plugin system added: See http://jmri.org/Technical/plugins.html
- Mac OS X now puts it's menus on the main menubar, making the applications much more Mac-like; Updates to icons, etc, on Macintosh systems.
- Alex Shepherd added a new "LocoBuffer statistics tool" which allows users of current LocoBuffer versions to view statistics on LocoNet traffic.
- A new "Decoder ID" page has been added to the web which is based on the current DecoderPro definitions automagically: http://jmri.org/xml/XSLT/index.html
- Paul Bender added response message handling routines to Lenz Turnout Code. Forced send of an "off" after an "on" is sent to an accessory decoder. This corrects the "multiple fire issue" some people are seeing (And I have been able to replicate using a Switch-It, and a button to throw the turnout back to it's starting position). Turnouts displayed through JMRI (either through a Control Panel, the Turnout tool, or the turnout table) will now react to commands sent via another Xpressnet device on systems that have feedback.
- Paul Bender started work on Lenz Sensor code. Skeleton in place. Feedback encoders should be reflected in the sensor table, though they are not currently handled. (this has not been tested).
- Paul Bender made modifications to the throttle GUI code so that it actually registers as a PropertyChangeListener with the system dependent throttle code. He also modified the throttle GUI and back end code, so the "Dispatch" button can be shut off on systems for which this makes no sense.
- Code for finding "DTD" files reworked in an attempt to fix startup problems on certain XP systems. Not really clear if it worked, feedback greatly appreciated.
- Paul Bender added ops mode programming support to Lenz.
- Fixed bug in LocoNet monitor where the Throttle ID field was being displayed wrong.
- Initial public release of Jython support for scripting and control (http://jmri.org/Technical/Jython.html)
- Bug that prevented moving the Roster location (see advanced preferences) is probably fixed.
- Bug preventing display of SE8c example on some systems (http://jmri.org/apps/Signalling/SimpleSignalExample.html) is believed fixed.
- Initial inclusion of "PacketPro" application for testing decoders (nee PacketScript)
Please use these links for downloading, including the "?download" at the end. That adds to SourceForge's advertising statistics, which makes them happy to host our stuff.
- Mac OS X: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jmri/JMRI.1.3.8.hqx?download
- Windows: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jmri/JMRI.1.3.8a.exe?download
- Linux: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jmri/JMRI.1.3.8.tgz?download